Coping and co-existing with hypersensitivity is a daily task and not necessarily an easy one, especially without relevant help and resources. Indeed, even though hypersensitivity affects one in five people, there are still many misconceptions about its definition and characteristics. That's why it's essential to lift the veil on hypersensitivity. In this article, we will first explain what hypersensitivity is, and then we will share with you some keys to help you better accept this trait that is part of you and how to better live with it.
Hypersensitivity: what does it mean?
According to the DOES model, hypersensitivity can be defined in four important points.
- Depth of processing: hypersensitive people have the need to analyze and take into account all useful information to make a choice. A long process of reflection is then engaged in order to see all the possibilities. In addition, their processing depth is much greater than that of people without sensitivities.
- Over-solicitation: hypersensitive people do not feel and experience situations like others. In fact, certain situations that are usually enjoyable are not for them. Being solicited by too much information at the same time, the situation is felt as unpleasant.
- Strong empathy: they feel the emotions of others and easily put themselves in their place. Moreover, they absorb the emotions of others, which sometimes becomes a burden. Hence the expression "emotional sponge". This great empathy also leads to a great need to help these people.
- Increased sensitivity to stimuli: Contrary to common belief, hypersensitive people do not have better senses than others. The difference lies in the way they process stimuli. This means that they pay more attention and analyze stimuli more. Thus, their sensory capacity is different, which can be a real handicap in everyday life.
Hypersensitivity: what does it mean?
Accepting one's hypersensitivity is a difficult but necessary step. There is no miracle recipe, this process is long and specific to each person. To you hypersensitive, I will give you some keys to start this process with some arrows in your bow.
- Get informed and learn to love: hypersensitivity does not manifest itself in the same way for everyone. In fact, your hypersensitivity is unique. You need to learn about it to understand it. The goal is to understand how it affects you in particular. Seeing this aspect of your personality as a flaw is normal. However, it is counterproductive to fight against what you feel and want to express. This struggle will delay the process of acceptance and lead to more suffering. Every human being is vulnerable, you are not infallible. Accept your weaknesses. Looking at your hypersensitivity with kindness and understanding will help you live with it. As a result, a better understanding of this side of your personality will help you integrate it rather than hate it.
- Accepting to live with your emotions: discover yourself in order to find your own balance point. To do this, you can use the method of emotional and body awareness. You have to listen to your emotions and your body. More concretely, take a close look at and analyze your emotions. Try to understand what you feel and why. Emotions are expressed through the body, it is a form of language. Learn this language, decode the messages that your body sends you. Repressing these emotions is harmful. On the contrary, you must let them express themselves for a better emotional experience. This will help you to set up strategies for an adapted functioning and an optimal blooming.
- Recharge, rest, reconnect: the third key is rest, well-being and connection with yourself. Having moments to feel good and safe is essential. This feeling of serenity can be found in different forms. The field of possibilities is immense. The soothing can occur thanks to a place, a music, an object, a moment... This bubble of protection must recharge you and give you energy.
The advantages of hypersensitivity
My last piece of advice is to use the benefits of hypersensitivity. There are many advantages to hypersensitivity, so don't focus on the negative aspects. I'm going to enlighten you on the positive sides that you probably don't see.
- Empathy: an enriching faculty that allows you to have a strong capacity to listen. This makes you a great support for people with whom you have a deep relationship.
- Creativity: hypersensitivity helps you to develop it. The richness of your inner world is a real asset, it allows you to express yourself in art and to be very creative. I advise you to find an outlet to express your emotions through art.
- Perfectionism: another quality found in many hypersensitive people. This desire for everything to be perfect can lead to many disappointments. However, this ability to go the extra mile is a real asset in your personal and professional life.
- Hyperemotionality: do you feel like you are drowning in your emotions, so intense that all your energy is invested? This is called hyperemotivity. This intensity pulls you down for emotions like sadness and despair. However, it also makes you feel love or joy fully, a great benefit.
Therefore, the most important thing is to tame your hypersensitivity. It will not disappear, this entity is part of you. This personal and individual process will take time, energy and a great deal of investment. Nevertheless, you will have a better emotional experience and a behavior more adapted to your hypersensitivity. So go ahead and find that inner peace!